Manitoba's Outdoor Message Board "Fishing and Hunting Discussions"

A place to share all your fishing and outdoor adventures feel free to post and share photos of all your adventures
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Trip report
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:51 pm 
Keeper

Another fly in to an outpost this year, to Big Sand lake lodge. This is my 3rd time through this lodge and must say they were having many issues with operations for their outpost camps. I will not get into detail there, they did very well the first 2 times I used them. To what really matters the fishing. Well the first 2 days were very windy some rain and high in the high 40's, yuck.
We stayed near camp and caught plenty to eat and entertain us some. The last 3 days the wind calmed sun showed and warmth came. We ran to the river and it was game on. If a guy wished a guy could catch easily over 100 2lbs to 5lbs walleye a day there. I was with wife son and nephew, I had no ambition of catching 100 a day. Wife and I caught 40to 50 each in 3 to 5 hours taking it easy and that is about all my wrist and elbows wanted. Last day there we counted fish, the first hour w2 of us had 40 walleye, to catch many more you would have to really be cranking them in fast and releasing fast. My son and nephew spent their day throwing spoons for pike. Unfourntatly they did not get a 41 incher. They did get 1 40 in. 2 39 in. 2 38 in and 8 to 10 36 in or so. All in all not bad pike fishing, I am guessing more fish would be shallow every warm day after we left for a while anyway. I have had spectacular fishing in the past and this rates up there with one for the books. There were several places on the river you basically dropped jig to bottom and with in seconds not minutes had a hit. All in all a good trip! My nephew had a goal for 4 fish a day for a good trip LOL needless to say he had a good trip.

Post subject: Re: Trip report
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:44 am 
Site Admin

Sounds like a great trip not a trophy factory for Walleye? Lots of numbers, We've had a great start to the year cold weather has kept the trout bite real good but Walleye and pike sluggish warm weather coming should change all that

Post subject: Re: Trip report
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:35 pm 
Keeper

No trophy factory but there are some trophy walleye caught every year. A lot of trophy pike and northern caught every year from the main lodge.