Manitoba's Outdoor Message Board "Fishing and Hunting Discussions"

A place to share all your fishing and outdoor adventures feel free to post and share photos of all your adventures
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Reindeer Lake info
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

Anyone have any info they would like to share on Reindeer lake, planning a trip for next spring for some huge lakers, have recieved some good info but the more we get the better prepared we will be. Thanks 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:27 pm 
Master Angler

Can you say spare prop!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:03 pm 
Keeper

Where did you get those maps

Post subject: fishing
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

Spare props lol wow talk about reefsI knew there were lots there but not that many, Brian how about we follow you in the boat lol. Not sure If i'll be able to go I'm hoping, yes where is this link for those pictures?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:28 pm 
Master Angler

Dave your more then welcome to join me!!
I'm thinking L.Nipigon June 6h till the 18th. Then Reindeer lake. All you need is you, I'll have almostt everything.
I have only two rules in the boat,
NO FLQ
and NO BSer'S
I'm hoping to inlist the King for my guide,NO experiene needed,thats what I told him
These maps are available for every lake in Canada.
The link is. http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/maps/topo/map
If any board member is heading to S. Ontario in April--June give me ashout and we will get after the Salmon on L.Ontario. Or... give me ashout, if your in this area in the winter,we will get some winter trolling in!
I'm having some problems with my steering,this boat is set up the same as my old boat,in below freezing temps the steering will freeze up,yep I can't turn the wheel,I can put a heater and a tarp at the stern the night before that will give me steerinf but... it's still arm strong,and I mean both arms to turn the wheel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:17 pm 
Master Angler

Did you fellows get that link?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:19 pm 
Keeper

Oh yeah!!!!

Thanks alot its great!!!

Post subject: Reindeer lake Info
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:37 am 

Hello

This is my first post on this forum,and I would like to say Hi to everyone.

I had worked on Reindeer Lake from 1978 to 1991 for Arctic Lodges Ltd before moving on to guide farther north......Maybe I can share some of my knowledge of the Lake.

I was just wondering about this trip you are planning in the spring.

What date were you thinking about going?

Are you going to drive up to Kinoosao ( Co-op Point) on Reindeer Lake approx 62 miles from lynn Lake.

Cheers
Barnacle

Post subject: Re: Reindeer lake Info
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:01 pm 
Master Angler

Barnacle wrote:
Hello

This is my first post on this forum,and I would like to say Hi to everyone.

I had worked on Reindeer Lake from 1978 to 1991 for Arctic Lodges Ltd before moving on to guide farther north......Maybe I can share some of my knowledge of the Lake.

I was just wondering about this trip you are planning in the spring.

What date were you thinking about going?

Are you going to drive up to Kinoosao ( Co-op Point) on Reindeer Lake approx 62 miles from lynn Lake.

Cheers
Barnacle

Howdy Barnacle...and Welcome.
This trip will be in June,I'm heading to L.Nipigon June 6th and plan on leaving there on or about the 16th,Hopefullly arriving Reindeer Lake @ Kinoosao on or about the 18th of June. I'm hoping to camp up the eastern shoreline,hopefully on a nice sheltered sandy beachs and Islands.
I'm hoping to get into some good LakeTrout,I like fishing them in deep water with the D.Riggers. I'm also interested in getting some grayling on my flyrod.
i'm hoping to be on the lake for 10 days,so staying on the eastern shoreline is not a certain.
I would not want you to give out any camp secrets,I just want to be in the right part of the lake
I would be very gratefull,for any info,on my planned route.

Thank so much!
If your ever in Southern Ontario,give me ashout on this board, or at
bcuthbertson2@cogeco.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:25 pm 

Hi Laketrout

Thank you for the warm welcome.

From what I see from your planned route,you will need both a Manitoba and Saskatchewan fishing Lic.....We were not allowed to fish in Manitoba without a Manitoba fishing lic. even though we got there by water.the law might have changed...make sure you check it out.

As far as camp secrets go....on a lake this big it does not apply.I am giving out no secrets.

Your date of June 18 should be good....The lodge I used to work at, was south of Kinoosao and our opening day was June 7.there was a couple of years where we had to break ice....check with the conservation office in Kinoosao for updates.I would also check with them to see if you can park your truck there for safe keeping!

Camp 1.....Paskwachi Bay (Stump Bay) area has some of the best ice out Northern Pike fishing on Reindeer.Don`t be surprised if you run into other boats from some of the outfitters in that area.
One of my favorite lake trout spots in the area is--- Horseshoe Island--- approx 18km W of Camp 1.

Camp 2....Sandy Island....This area should produce good trout,Pike and arctic grayling(I have caught lots of grayling out on this lake just flyfishing from Island points over sandy and gravel bottoms) the West side of Beatty Island and the other larger Islands to the NW from Camp 2 should hold some nice trout.

Camp 3...Great Pike fishing in the bays in this area....for Lake Trout---Boundary Island approx 15km NW....This area holds some big fish but the weather and wind can get up and put you in a real bad situation( I have been socked in for 2 days up on the north end of Reindeer before)

the Camp sites you have picked are on the general route that the locals travel from Kinoosao to Brochet.
On this Lake If I was to travel any great distance from Camp...I would always tear down the tent camp and take it with me in the boat...I would rather have it with me if needed.

Some of my favorite Lake Trout Lures:
Half Waves.....both silver and gold
Len Thompson #4 .....five of diamonds(black diamonds and red diamonds)
Red and white....Orange and White......Potato bug(redish with black dots)
Black and White.
Flat Fish T55: Charteuse....White.....Silver.....Gold....Blue/Silver....Rainbow
Red Eyes....both Silver and Gold

If you have any Question...please ask I would be more than happy to help if I can.

Cheers
Barnacle

Post subject: Fishing
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:02 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome Barnacle, great info you got there, sure wish I could make the trip, I will one day. Would be great to see some photos and some more stories on your guiding up their, how far to Greyling grounds from Kinoosao launch?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:07 pm 
Master Angler

Can't thank you enough for these details. I do plan on getting both Sask, and Manitoba lic.
What I have planned on is to camp ...fish for a couple of days in that area and then pick up camp and head to another camping area. Setup and do the same thing over again. Depending on the weather of course!
The make of the shoreline,I see pictures of Reindeer lake where it's all rock and other pictures of sandy beaches,I was just wondering,how hard it will be to find suitable campsites, I can anchor my boat off shore but that wouldn't be my fisrt choice.
Something like this would be ideal ,a camping spot on L.Nipigon!

Like I said,if your ever down this way St.Catharines let me know,I use my boat year round so the time of year doesn't matter!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:05 am 

Hello

Thank you for the warm welcome... Northern Manitoba

As far as Arctic Grayling go....I have caught them all over the lake out on the islands.I look for sandy shorelines that merge into gravel bottoms.
From my experience Grayling are not just in the rivers or fast water.I have caught them this way in the N.W.T. and Nunavut also,....personally I prefer to fish them in the rapids(larger fish it seems).
My personal best was 4 lb.9 onces which I caught on a dry fly up on the Kazan River(Grayling fishing at its best) down stream from Kasba Lake N.W.T.
When I get a new scanner i will post some pictures.

cheers
Barnacle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:52 am 

Hi Laketrout

As far as finding a good sheltered campsite with a nice beach.....I have found Reindeer Lake to be one of the the better puddles I have been on for this.You will also find lots of driftwood for your fire.

I also found if you get out away from the main land the bugs(including black flies) are not to bad!
going by your map info check out--- 64E10-- Porter Bay where the Tyme Hill River comes in is one of my favorite places on the Northern part of Reindeer Lake....At the pool where the river comes in I have caught some great Walleye and some very large Pike!....I have only seen 2 Blue Northerns in my life and they were caught up in this general area.I wish I had a picture to show you...what a incredible looking Pike(Blue and Silver).

As you have noticed there are lots of reefs and sunkin islands all over the place.Some of these reefs fall off in to deep water and produce some great lake trout.....all my guiding on this lake was done using 20 horse power outboards on 16 foot alum boats.By the look of your boat and engine size you will have to extra careful with the speed you can run
:wink:

cheers
Barnacle

Post subject: Reindeer lake
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

I have a friend that used to guide up north on Snowbird lake and he talked about the great Geryling in the Kazan river as it was amazing he has one mounted that must be 3 pounds, I have a book on the Kazan river read it quite some years ago I will have to find it again...NM