Manitoba's Outdoor Message Board "Fishing and Hunting Discussions"

A place to share all your fishing and outdoor adventures feel free to post and share photos of all your adventures
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Reindeer lake
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:04 pm 

Northern Manitoban wrote:
I have a friend that used to guide up north on Snowbird lake and he talked about the great Geryling in the Kazan river as it was amazing he has one mounted that must be 3 pounds, I have a book on the Kazan river read it quite some years ago I will have to find it again...NM

Hi NM

I have been on Snowbird lake!
I never got to guide or fish on it...I just built a outpost cabin on the north end and did some work on the outpost(old lodge) on the south end .I had a couple of friends who spent many years on it.They bragged about the Lake Trout fishing.
Your friend did he play the banjo by chance?

cheers
Barnacle

Post subject: Fishing
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:16 pm 
Site Admin

We were actually talking about eventually going to Snowbird and stay in one of those Northern cabins, seen some pictures of some huge trout out of their but also heard stories lots of fish were kept over the years big lake though, never hear anything about that lake and when I got info on Snowbird all old photos no new photos of big trout, it might be different now sure would be nice to hear of any big trout coming out of Snowbird lately, my friends name is Gerry he lives in Saskatoon guided there in the 80's he comes here from time to time goes by Waveman here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:48 pm 
Master Angler

Barnacle wrote:
Hi Laketrout

As far as finding a good sheltered campsite with a nice beach.....I have found Reindeer Lake to be one of the the better puddles I have been on for this.You will also find lots of driftwood for your fire.

I also found if you get out away from the main land the bugs(including black flies) are not to bad!
going by your map info check out--- 64E10-- Porter Bay where the Tyme Hill River comes in is one of my favorite places on the Northern part of Reindeer Lake....At the pool where the river comes in I have caught some great Walleye and some very large Pike!....I have only seen 2 Blue Northerns in my life and they were caught up in this general area.I wish I had a picture to show you...what a incredible looking Pike(Blue and Silver).

As you have noticed there are lots of reefs and sunkin islands all over the place.Some of these reefs fall off in to deep water and produce some great lake trout.....all my guiding on this lake was done using 20 horse power outboards on 16 foot alum boats.By the look of your boat and engine size you will have to extra careful with the speed you can run
:wink:

cheers
Barnacle

Thats great news about the camping areas,Thanks! On Nipigon there far a few apart with limited sheltered beaches.
Bugs theres bugs up there lol I was hoping there wasn't any Image
Thanks for the info on the Bay and the Pike.
Speed and rocks,yep I know a strange lake and hazards can spell the end of the trip. I do have a spare prop,but if I have nothing to attach it to.....
I';ll have 30 gallons gas in the tank and probably another 30 in gas cans. With my opti max,they say I should be getting @
4000 rpms @ 32mph,I should be getting 7.3 mpg
5600 rpms @ 43.mph I should be getting 4.5 mpg
However I did get 46.8 mph out of it on a cold and flat calm morning :D
On my 8 hp 4 stroke I did a fuel run with an external tank,I got atleast 30hrs on 3 1/2 galllons @ 2.2 mph. Hopefully I'll have some extra gas and be able to see some other areas of the lake.
Thanks again for your help it's greatly appreciated !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:10 am 
Master Angler

Geez i'm glad I phoned the Co-op in Kinoosao,they don't take Visa,and a SASK. Lic. is $60,
Somehow I got the impresion that Kinoosao was in Manitoba.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:48 am 

Hi Laketrout [Brian]

I know we have been in contact by PM awhile back ....I just want to wish you.... a good trip....a safe trip ....and a big fish trip :wink: to Reindeer Lake.

keep safe my friend and let us know how it went :wink:

Cheers
Barnacle

Post subject: fishing
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:30 pm 
Site Admin

Brian did not make the trip up north here, he got into some real bad weather on his other trip and decided to hook up with a freind farther east in New Brunswick, he said he will post that trip report when he's back. NM

Post subject: Re: Reindeer Lake info
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:35 pm 

So I take it you can pretty much camp wherever you want on Reindeer Lake?
There are no designated campsites?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:26 pm 
Site Admin

Doop wrote:
So I take it you can pretty much camp wherever you want on Reindeer Lake?
There are no designated campsites?

welcome to the board :) wow a Texan, yes Reindeer lake has many islands and bays to get away and camp are you looking at trying the big lake out?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:56 pm 

Thanks for the welcome!
I'm glad I found this site :)

Yes...I am from Texas. I don't consider myself a Texan though. :) I'm originally from Iowa born and raised...recently moved to Texas and can't wait to move back!!! It's way too hot down here!!!!!! 97 degrees today. uhhhhhhhhhhh. All Texans can keep their state as far as I'm concerned :) Plus....no northerns down here! What's a guy to do!?

Actually......I'm looking for big pike on Reindeer. I had heard that the large pike #'s had dropped off dramatically. Not sure if that's true or not. Just trying to find a lake up there where I could camp and catch northerns until I was tired of setting the hook. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

yeah can imagine the heat down there :) Reindeer has big fish for sure, you can go to other lakes that are easier access and hold big Northerns as well Athapapuskow Flin Flon area, Reed Lake, Simonhouse lake, Iskwasum lake all in the same area this area has other lakes also that have good pike and size, I'm wanting to try Reindeer myself about a 6 or so hour drive for me, I want to target some large Lakers, i believe there is world record fish in there, have not heard anything about size and numbers coming down from that lake, don't know many that fish it, its a massive lake