Manitoba's Outdoor Message Board "Fishing and Hunting Discussions"

A place to share all your fishing and outdoor adventures feel free to post and share photos of all your adventures
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:39 am 
A few lakes that I go to are nuts right now. Balckstrap is awesome for Walleye (but don't eat them :cry: ) I heard a 9lb was caught last week. Mistiwasis is unreal for Walleye right now, A limit of 3lb is taking about 2 hours to get, jig and beef heart seems to be the hot ticket. One guy got 3 around 8lbs in one week. Too bad my boat is too dam small and the wind has been blowing everytime I want to go.

Gerry, if your out there, how did your boat work last week?

Last edited by Guest on Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:00 pm 
Net Worthy

APU WHY ARE YOU SAYING DONT EAT WALLEYE FROM BLACKSTRAP ,WHAT IS THE PROBLEM OR DID YOU FIND MORE OF THE SLEW TASTE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:34 pm 
No I haven't had another one yet, but it was sooo gross that I don't know if I will. I have never had a problem there before and i'm sure it is only a few fish but I hate the thought of keeping fish and end up not eating them. I would rather practice catch and release and have many great day's of fishing out there for years to come. I don't believe the fish are bad from Blackstrap, in fact that fish looked so healthy and the meat was perfect except for the taste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:47 pm 
Wallyguy,
have you been out lately? how did you make out? have you caught any perch, we used to catch tons of big perch but not in the past 2 years, I heard there was partial winter kill a couple of years ago, is this true?

APU

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:00 pm 
Net Worthy

there was a winter kill then it got hit with a gill rot virus that wiped out alot of the perch , the last time i was out was on monday ,walleye were still great but im sick of making new spinners as the gator bite was just great we caught about 10 in the 5 to14 lbs range when we were bottom bouncing for walleyes, as for perch it seems like it has been years since we had a good day for them,we get the odd one but most are small , except on monday we got 2 that were 14 inches. oh and have not gotten another slew fish since that day ,i think it only happens when they put that weed killer in the channel

Last edited by wallyguy on Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:14 am 
I often wonder about that weed killer. You would think if it is strong enough to kill weeds it might some effect on the fish. Also, some farmers dumping chemical into the cannal. Bradwell was effected big time by a spill about ten years ago. It would be nice if they could keep the weeds down without chemical.
I would love to get into a pile of those 14" perch, maybe in a few years.

Post subject: Saskatchewan
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:20 am 
Site Admin

Definetly nice Perch :o Black strap a shallow lake?remember a few years back all I heard was Perch and more Perch coming out of this lake and not much for Walleye's.Damn chemical run offs its affecting lakes all over the Country Look at the state of lake Winnipeg because of that same problem and other contributing factors :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:06 pm 
I can't remember finding any deeper that about 30ft, maybe wallyguy has found deeper.
There is lots of structure in Blackstrap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:21 pm 
Net Worthy

black strap is a shallow lake the deepest spot we found was 41 feet and that was at the begiing of the year in the main lake basin .I wish that they would do what thay did at pigeon to blackstrap all walleye would catch and release. Then we could have a nice trophy fishery right close to toon town .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:11 am 
Catch and release would be great at Blackstrap. It is such a good fishery, it would be a shame to one day not have it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:52 pm 
Net Worthy

i agree it would be nice if we seen some cnr. pigeon has been calling now for a while maybe give a try next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:21 pm 
Net Worthy

if you ever get a cnance to go , go you will not be disappointed as i was there this summer and the fishing was great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:14 pm 
Net Worthy

yeah its pretty tempting only 4 and a half hours of good alberta road and a free place to stay in ponoka, if not this year than next for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:42 pm 
Net Worthy

i wa sout to shannon lake on the weekend and didnt have as much luck as i hoped fishing was slow but we did manage a few this year

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:07 pm 
Wallyguy, do you ever go out to Lake Lenore? I have never been but I hear good things about this lake.

APU