Manitoba's Outdoor Message Board "Fishing and Hunting Discussions"

A place to share all your fishing and outdoor adventures feel free to post and share photos of all your adventures
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Annual Trip Report
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:53 pm 
Trophy

We returned from Manitoba on June 28 after a week and a half of time well spent in God's country.

We fished Wekusko and Tramping from June 18-20. As much as I hate to say it publicly, Wekusko is a fantastic fishery. During the two days we spent exploring this lake, we caught roughly 260 fish, including several Master Angler sauger (wow - never thought about targeting this species, but Wekusko has a plethora of trophies). We had 4 walleyes over 26" with the largest being just a hair over 27". Pike were cooperative, as we got well over 100, but the largest was just 36" -- tons of them around 30". We got some bonus whitefish and small BIG perch as well.

We fished Tramping for one day and ended up two fish shy of 100. What a fishery! We caught 9 fish over 25" that day, including a 31, 29.5 and two 27's. Most notably, the 31 was my fishing buddy's first 30-plus incher and he caught it on his birthday. It was a memorable day.

After packing up, we started the journey to Lynn Lake. Still a favorite place of ours, we were excited to get to the north country and start looking for some lakers. As usual, they did not disappoint. We spent 5 days fishing the Laurie system and caught about 800 fish. Walleyes were good again, with around 40 over 25" -- the largest being 28.5. Big pike were difficult to find for us on this trip, although we do not tend to do well on the trophies on this system. In 5 days we had 266 trout, with 3 Masters.

Those of you who live in MB are blessed. Those who live in northern MB are cursed because there is simply too much great water and not enough ice free days in a year to fish every lake worthy of your time. I'm envious.

Attachments:
31Tramping.jpg
31Tramping.jpg [ 57.68 KiB | Viewed 227 times ]
29.5Walleye.jpg
29.5Walleye.jpg [ 62.63 KiB | Viewed 227 times ]
36Trout.jpg
36Trout.jpg [ 119.41 KiB | Viewed 227 times ]

Post subject: Re: Annual Trip Report
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:27 am 
Keeper

Great report! Always great to see you post up your great trips. How was the road to Lynn this year guessing a little rougher due to a wetter spring?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:05 pm 
Site Admin

Awesome report fishing paradise up that way for sure, I'd love to just target large trout that way, do you guys see many boats on those lakes? Thx for report!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:37 pm 
Trophy

JWN -- Road was the best we've seen it in years. Only issue was a logging truck running by me and shattering my windshield.

Dave -- We see very few boats. I think I counted 4 this year. Two the first day, then one guide boat from Laurie River Lodge and one other boat from Slim's in Saskatchewan. We don't specifically target big trout...instead we play the numbers game and plan on 1-2% of the fish being BIG.

Very quiet up that way. Several good camping areas. Lots of protection from the wind, even though there's a ton of water to fish.