Manitoba's Outdoor Message Board "Fishing and Hunting Discussions"

A place to share all your fishing and outdoor adventures feel free to post and share photos of all your adventures
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:12 pm 
Minnow

I'm not sure if all of you browse the other forum or not, so hopefully you don't mind me cross posting this link. I was going to cut and paste and forgot until after and now I'm running into issues doing so.

http://www.manitobafishingforum.com/for ... post763073

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:17 pm 
Keeper

Well I wish more members would link post's from this site to other sites to gain morre members. As far as your trip report thanks and I always enjoy any ifo from Manitoba. I also had some run in with rocks on my trip to Reed. 3 seprate ocations we had to beat our stanlesssteel prop out. This was not due to complete recklessnes just to much confidence in where we were at and where we were going.The lakes in that area and most likely all of Canada deserve much respect, I did learn sevral leasons this year.(hopefully will not forget them). Sounds like all in all you had a good trip. I would like to know if you tried to get your motor fixed up there so you could continue with your trip or did you just call it quites?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:54 pm 
Site Admin

Thx for that great trip report most sites don't allow links but I'm ok with it no worries :wink: I don't go to that site very much anymore, looks like you guys fished hard and rocks are a problem I really enjoy Loukes lake when I went haven't been there in 6 years wonder if my old fishing spots would still produce? Did you go to the falls wondering if there are still a bunch of boats there

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:52 am 
Minnow

jwn: I didn't bother checking to see if there would be a short term fix to get it going. I'm not sure if getting jammed in gear is common or not, but I'm thinking there may either be internal damage inside the gear case or something jarred out of place. Besides that the keel is leaking. Started my claim yesterday and taking the boat in to the dealer today.

Northern Manitoban: I'm assuming the falls are where Loucks drains into Flag? If so, there were a few boats over in that area. It seemed like most of the people who went onto Loucks that day were going into the bay on the west side middle of the lake to stay out of the wind. The few people we talked to said they never bother with Loucks, even though they mentioned Iskwasum was slow. It was one of the best walleye fishing days I've had, I just wish the weather had been a little better so we could have stayed out longer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:29 pm 
Keeper

Nova, if in the future you ever have motor issues up in that are there is a guy in Tke Pas, DR.Guy's small engine repair(I think that is correct) on the east side of the highway south of town. He will try to put the campers in front of the line for repairs. I also think we may have a small leak in my dads boat due to a rock pile up there. I cannot stress enough that in that area take it slow unless you are above 100% sure.(need to take my own advice sometimes). Glad that you found someone to tow you back sounds like it could have been a long cold night.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:26 pm 
Minnow

I had brief thoughts of taking it somewhere to see if we could get it shifting again as I do carry a spare prop. But then I figured that it could muddle things a bit since insurance was going to be involved, and the motor is still under warranty. With two days left in the trip, at best we might have managed 1 day of fishing if any tinkering were to be successful. And the potential of causing further damage weighed on my mind. Seeking a rental also crossed my mind.

As nice as it would have been to finish the trip, I didn't give it a lot of consideration as I was thinking more long term. Getting the insurance claim started and getting the boat to the dealer before I go back to work was my primary concern. I know the process can be a bit slow because you have 3 parties involved and the parts are usually 3+ business days away after the decision is made. At this point I'm kind of hoping it ends up being a situation where they elect to go for a complete gear case assembly and it is readily available. I worked in the industry for a while, and my dad was a parts manager for around 20 years or so......I know when it comes to swapping parts from case to case all it can take is one o-ring on backorder to delay things a month. Hopefully I will have an answer of sorts soon regarding ETA. If it is down for the season I might look at buying a small tiller and borrowing a relatives 14' tinner, then mounting it as a kicker when my boat is fixed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:07 pm 

Sorry about your misfortune. All I can say is that I give a big thumbs up to Dr. Guys in The Pas. He saved my dads trip when he ripped off the lower unit on his 40HP Yamaha on Reed last week. Dr. Guys was able to provide my old man with a rebuilt lower unit at a very very reasonable price. Of course a day later I recovered the lower unit for the old man, getting incredibly wet in the process however :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:28 am 
Minnow

Well some pretty positive news today. They are going with a gear case assembly, the hull is being repaired and one side of it repainted. Estimate was just shy of $7k. Parts already on order as of Friday, should be delivered this week. I didn't try to squeeze a solid ETA out of them as at this point, but I'm very hopeful that it will be done in the first week of July.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:20 pm 
Keeper

7K wow, good thing you chose the route you did. Glad to hear insurence is footing the bill, it is great not th=o have to use it but is better when it is there when you need it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:41 pm 
Site Admin

Wow that is a big price tag! Mike is correct Dr Guys in The Pas has saved many boaters trips at Reed over the years he'll drop everything to get you back on the water, mikes Dad said when he took it into Dr Guys to get fixed and told him he hit a rock on Reed Lake Dr Guys said oh yes I move those rocks every year lol :lol: