Manitoba's Outdoor Message Board "Fishing and Hunting Discussions"

A place to share all your fishing and outdoor adventures feel free to post and share photos of all your adventures
It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 2015 MANITOBA TRIP
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:37 pm 
Keeper

Headed north from Iowa 7am Monday 6/1 got to Pontoon at 3am 6/2 with the intentions of going to Lynn Lake area but at this time it was evident that we were not going to do that trek. We decided to head west to Reed Lake. Got camp set and off we went. It was the fairly wavy day on the south shore. Fished about 40 min and kicker motor over heated due to something with the water cooling? So off we go to The Pas to the shop got there he got us in but could not find any issue motor working fine??(Lesson learned there). Rest of the trip great weather, got rained on a few times but never winded in on Reed that equals a great weather trip! (Have been there in the past and winded in for days) Next 2 days we hit the Grass River then Woosey Creek for walleye. Most walleye seemed as if they had moved out already but if you stuck it out I think generally you could end up with a fair tally.(cannot add them up if you keep looking for mother load, but largest was 26inch) On both days we started to hit secondary bays and points but never really found any large concentrations of walleye. I had my 14yr old boy with me that loves pike fishing so I devoted several hours each day for him to throw spoons over various weed beds. We found a string of small islands with weeds off each to where my son caught many 36 to 39in pike!(he was in haven and it was hard to keep searching for eyes when all he wanted was to chase gators) I fished for pike some with him but mainly just let him sling the bait and run the troller. He caught his biggest pike right at 40inch and I caught my biggest somewhere between 43 and 46inch.(we did not have the best way to measure them) I tried for Lake Trout a few times with 0 success(But I know 0 about laker fishing others were doing ok at it) I did catch 4 by accident! The camping at Reed was great compared to what we are used to in Iowa but must say camping where you never have another camp in sight is better. I also had my father with me who has been to Reed many times, his first trip to Reed was last 60’s early 70’s. He has had many unbelievable trips there in the past and most likely enjoyed his last with 3 generations along. I will be back to Reed again it is a great lake and it is always it is a great adventure going that far north. I did meet Dave and Kerry even was able to drink a beer or 2 of mine and several of Daves. They are both wonderful Canadians and I truly hope I run into them again in the future!(which I will) All in all a great trip that I will never forget and I will be back there next year I hope.

Post subject: Re: 2015 MANITOBA TRIP
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:41 pm 
Site Admin

Great trip report Jim no pictures? :) it was great meeting you and your son and Dad sure is nice seeing generations of family's doing this and continuing it, Kerry and I enjoyed all who came to Reed this year it kept us busy along with her parents coming up and the week before I had my kids and granddaughter up, a trip to remember fishing was ok not as good as last year we didn't boat any masters this year, I'll post my trip report later this week with all my photos