Manitoba's Outdoor Message Board "Fishing and Hunting Discussions"

A place to share all your fishing and outdoor adventures feel free to post and share photos of all your adventures
It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Fishing Highway 39 & 6
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:01 pm 
Minnow

I guess it is kind of getting close to crunch time. Need to make a tentative plan of sorts for my first northern trip of 2015. It's still almost 3 weeks away but in a week and a half I start the first part of my holidays in the southeast part of the province with my brother and his family and then I only head back to Sask long enough to do some laundry, load up my camper and pick up my dad for the second leg of my journey.

I'm set up with a truck camper this time around so I think the mobility is going to be a real positive. More time on the water and not worry about driving to and from where we are camping. Just going to park wherever works for us at night (hopefully at the next day's fishing destination) and call it a day.

Two years ago we did Cormorant and Yawningstone. Last year we camped at Athapap and did the majority of our fishing there with stops at Rocky, Barbe, Neso and Iskwasum (our best day by far). Barbe is on the list again, as well as Clearwater (weather pending). But being that my dad really enjoyed fishing Iskwasum last year and I found the smaller lakes a bit easier to locate fish on, I'm thinking maybe the road to Thompson might be right up our alley. Seems to be a lot of easily accessible lakes along there, big and small, and not significant distance between them. Good variety of species as well. The opportunity for big fish is always on my mind, but I think we'll focus on numbers this time around and if we catch something photo worthy that's great too.

Am I on the right track? Any comments welcome! Places to try, places to avoid, lakes with significant hazards (I know Reed is bad, not sure I'm to try that one), etc.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:53 pm 
Master Angler

I'll be up this year about the same time for a week.

If numbers are what your after, you've got a good list of lakes there. We've had days on Barbe where we caught nothing but masters and that one is on my list again as well. We're always on big Athapap for hawgs for a couple of days but break it up with a walleye fill for shore lunch and take home.

I'm going to revisit some of the lesser fished lakes with quads this time around. I have only fished Reed just before ice-out and have never caught bigger Pike anywhere else. Again, we usually have a hard time catching small enough Pike to keep. I've heard it can be a tricky reef filled ride though.

We fill ourselves with walleye during Moose season on some of the lakes on your list.

Good luck, look forward to hearing how you did…...

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

Don't be shy to fish Reed ask around many at Reed lake will offer advice as Chris mention Pike are big at Reed probably the best drive to lake in Manitoba for Pike, yes lots of reefs but I started out with map took my time and watched where I was going, Thompson area has some decent lakes to fish but nothing compared to the Flin Flon area reason why I head that way every summer, we have a couple lakes that produce big walleye one lake that has big Lakers but are hard to catch for some reason, our river is good but mainly smaller fish it does have big ones there but I've had a hard time finding them, the Odei north of us by an hour is full of big fish and that is my go to place every fall, I want to fish Rocky this year and also hit Barbe next week when I'm at Reed for two weeks, good luck everyone and hope we hear a trip report with photos! Good to see you back Chris, anyone around Reed lake pop in site 13 I'm there until June 11th

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:44 pm 
Minnow

Thanks for the insight.

Aside from Iskwasum, I was thinking about Loucks (if it's accessible through Iskwasum?), Tramping, Setting, Wekusko.

Another thought I've had was trying some lakes down the Sherridon Lake road. Still pretty wide open right now. I'm still thinking about trying Elbow some day, but it's an awful long trip to get in there.

Northern Manitoban, it's too bad in just going to miss you by a day. I would have stopped in for some insight on Reed. Are there good maps to be found for Reed?

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:29 am 
Site Admin

The campground might have some maps, louckes lake launch at Iskwasum go to your right on the river and you can see Louckes you have to go through the tall grass you will see the trail it's easy go Great Lake for walleye, I've heard that the lakes along Sheridon Rd are good

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:25 pm 
Trophy

If you take a quick peek at the record book, you'll see that Tramping has some incredible walleyes. Here's the top 10:

It would be pretty hard to pass up fishing this lake if the opportunity presented itself.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:51 pm 
Site Admin

Yes and it's easy to launch easy to navigate friend of mine did quite good last year trolling cranks catching some big eyes

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:32 pm 
Minnow

Tramping is actually the one lake on my list that really intrigues/excites me. Not a "big" lake in the sense that it is quite narrow and should not be affected by wind to the extreme of lakes like Athapap, Reed, Clearwater but still has a decent overall volume due to being so long. Having lakers is a plus too.

Manitoba's master angler record book is an amazing tool. It really helps guide my decision making to some extent as one can search lakes and get a general sense of what fishing is like there. And having great forums with helpful people is an added bonus. While Saskatchewan has lots of great lakes as well, finding some guidance is nearly impossible.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

I used to fish Tramping every year I'd go there from Reed lake if it was to rough to get out on Reed, my lady is bugging me to take her there maybe I will :) yes I look at the master angler guide it's a great tool, we used to have some good members from Saskatchewan on the board years back, but they left when the Saskatchewan fishing message board started, it's to bad they were avid anglers and left good Sask fishing reports here.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:26 am 
Minnow

I've been doing some searching and can't really find any info. Is there anything for fuel along that highway? The lodges I've found don't mention fuel sales to the general public. Are Cranberry Portage and Snow Lake pretty much the closest options? Just trying to decide if I should bring jerry cans along or not.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 12:33 pm 
Master Angler

Theres also Ponton gas station quite a ways down the road at the intersection of the #6 highway. You can turn into Snow lake as well.