Manitoba's Outdoor Message Board "Fishing and Hunting Discussions"

A place to share all your fishing and outdoor adventures feel free to post and share photos of all your adventures
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:46 pm 
Keeper

Would love to hear everyone’s plans! Mine are the Lynn Lake area if the road is passable, not sure on the lake or the time but it will be early June. With that have vast knowledge in the group(Dad) of Reed and not sure you can go wrong with that choice. I know there are many other great lakes in Manitoba but relay here of trips there. This is a great site and I know many check it but few post on it, all the other sites I can fine are mainly Ontario and it seems they do not want any interest in the great Province of Manitoba. Come on and let’s get this site going! There are plenty of fish and lakes in Manitoba!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:29 pm 
Site Admin

Thx for the kind words lots of lurkers many anglers post now on Facebook and not so much on fishing forums, I've been guilty of that myself, I'll be once again spending time at Reed as we have our American friends coming up once again, plus we want to hit Simonhouse lake down the road this year, and if course Kississing lake still on my list. One day I also like to head north fish Lynn lake area, Reindeer lake would be a gem to fish it's just that road is hard on the equipment. Can't wait for open water!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:33 pm 
Minnow

I'm starting out with a trip to Booster Lake in the second week of June. Going to try the area for smallmouth. Fishing the south east wasn't my idea but I'm rolling with it anyway since I don't get out fishing with my brother often. Something different I guess.

From there I'm heading back to Sask to pick up my camper and my dad and we'll be heading up around The Pas and Flin Flon. Not sure where all we are going to fish. I'm hoping dad will be up for trying the trek to Elbow Lake this year. If the weather is nice maybe Clearwater for a day. Barbe for sure. Might try some lakes along the Sherridon road. I picked up a truck camper this winter so it is going to be easy to play it as we go and just camp out at small lakes every night. May try Wekusko or Reed if we get brave and find some good maps.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:41 pm 
Minnow

Lynn Lake area for me too. Vandekerchove Lake, Zed Lake and Gemmell Lake are on my hit list. Also got a bad craving to catch my first Splake, Lake Trout and any Master angler. Three years up here and still haven't got into one.

Thinking about spending some time on Mid Lake aswell hoping for some rainbows and Splake.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

If you put the time in you will catch Splake in Mid lake, rainbows, Brooke trout and small mouth Bass, we did really well on rainbows and Brooke trout this year on Mid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:45 pm 

I plan to come up to Footprint after ice out (and if it goes well, again in the fall). Have seen Dave and others make so many interesting posts on here about it. Up til now I have always gone to Western manitoba for trout so finally want to come North and try it out in comparison. Would also like to hit the river at Grand Rapids in the summer. One of my goals this year is a 100 fish day (for the boat) which I've never experienced and that seems like a likely spot from what I've seen here. Also there was a recent article in Outdoor Canada about some of the tributaries around Dauphin Lake for walleye which i think would be well suited for my small boat so I hope to get over there. Oh and Northwest Ontario for smallies. I have more destinations than I do days off unfortunately.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:36 pm 
Trophy

Late June Lynn Lake area. Hoping to hit Reindeer for a few days then some others for a few days. Can't wait to tie into some big trout!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:41 pm 
Minnow

Northern Manitoban wrote:
If you put the time in you will catch Splake in Mid lake, rainbows, Brooke trout and small mouth Bass, we did really well on rainbows and Brooke trout this year on Mid

Any advice out there on tackle options for Splake and Brookies on Mid?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:40 am 
Minnow

Geeze, you guys are making me want to head a lot further north than I already am. Maybe next year.....if I'm going to make that long of a trek I'd better have closer to 2 weeks off to make use of it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:30 am 
FRY

We are heading to Gangler's in June. Staying at their Bain Lake outpost. It will be our first time staying with Gangler's. If anyone has fished Bain, I would appreciate any input or advise.

No trip to Iskwasum this June, we will be back in 2016.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:48 pm 
Keeper

Nova
Where are you from? I am in I owa and it will be atleast a 24hr dr to where I am planning. I have drove or been on trips that took 36hrs to get to destanation. Keep in mind if roads are good it does not take as long as if they are wet and winter broke. when my dad started going in the late 60's to Reed it was all gravel just north of Winipeg and the gravel in Canada is noway the same as Iowa. I have been on sevral trips that we have had break downs(ie. trailer leaf springs, flat tires, holes in boats due to leaf springs, and even a burnt trany from too much weight) One of the things the I admire about Manitoba is that all these things got fixed by someone in the next town for a fair price and more than fair time frame!!! I have nothing but respect for the Canadians that live in the north country and once in a while you will hit the fishing just right to where no one will think you are telling the truth!(i have a few of them trips but not all) If you do not hit it right it is still always a great trip taking in the sceeneery and vast wildernees I don't have in Iowa!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:52 pm 
Keeper

ba11
I have no advice for you but would love to here how it turns out. I have been on 3 Lodge trips in my life all of the reports are on this site. 1 for my honeymmone 2 for my 10th aneversey 3 for what I thought was my dads last trip but we are palnning on going agasin this year the way he started it on our own. I have checked the lake you are looking at many times on the net and it looks like it should be great! Please let us know.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:51 pm 

Turnbuckle wrote:
Northern Manitoban wrote:

Any advice out there on tackle options for Splake and Brookies on Mid?

For splake, a white tube or white bucktail jig, with sucker or minnow tipped on the hook. Try the deeper water near the middle of the lake.

FYI Fisheries Branch will no longer accept master splake from Mid, They have been reproducing for many years and are now considered lake trout. I had 2 fish rejected recently.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:06 pm 
Site Admin

Thx for the post Pangman I figured they were producing in Mid but wasn't aware of not accepting master angler certificates, that's strange, I've caught some big ones out in the middle trolling deep like mentioned didn't catch or see any this year ice fishing the 4 times I was at Mid Lake all were rainbows and Brook. I was using lake trout spoons William wobblers large Cleos and northern king flutter spoons when I was trolling.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:57 pm 
Minnow

jwn wrote:
Nova
Where are you from? I am in I owa and it will be atleast a 24hr dr to where I am planning. I have drove or been on trips that took 36hrs to get to destanation. Keep in mind if roads are good it does not take as long as if they are wet and winter broke.

I'm in the south east corner of Saskatchewan, shows a little 1200km to Lynn Lake on google maps for me. I'm not adverse to the driving part of things. My biggest issue is making good use of a long and costly trip like that as 2 days would be consumed by driving. In the next couple years my schedule should be very easy to work with once the farmer on my crew retires. Not many people really utilize holidays in late May and early June and again in late fall other than farmers or fishermen, and in this case the farmer has about 35 years of seniority on me. Once that's out of the way it will just be a matter of getting my dad to commit to a longer trip.