Manitoba's Outdoor Message Board "Fishing and Hunting Discussions"

A place to share all your fishing and outdoor adventures feel free to post and share photos of all your adventures
It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:07 pm 
Minnow

Hey Nova that's awesome about Barbe lake and congrats on the masters! I've biting at the bit waiting for the rainbow bite to start at footprint especially after never catching one before. What were you having the most success on if you don't mind me asking? I always carry the fly rod with me and don't leave home without a few buggers.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:36 pm 
Minnow

I was just trolling Wooley buggers with a spinning rod. 1.5 to 2.5 mph seemed to work. Darker colors seemed on, and for whatever reason they had little to no interest in the ones with gold bead heads.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:29 pm 
Keeper

Just got home early this morning (i.e. central Minnesota) from our week of fishing Reed Lake. No bearing issues; no flat tires, and no lower units damaged. And the combination of lower gas prices and the strong US dollar made for a very inexpensive week of fishing.

We've been fishing Reed Lake for 20 years now. The first 12 years we made the trip in early June. We've been going up in early-mid September for the past 8 or so years.

All around we experienced a very unusual year of fishing. Neither the weather nor the big northerns were very cooperative. Those of you who frequent this forum know that our group tends to spend 95% of our time fishing for big northerns. But with the northerns few and far between, our trip was saved by some very cooperative lake trout. The lake trout were absolutely on fire on Tuesday and Wednesday, the two days that the weather was the nastiest. I conservatively caught 50 lake trout. And couple of the guys in the group easily caught 75 or more. Fishing for lake trout when they are up in the shallows is an absolute riot. They look like sharks and they never stop fighting (kinda like smallmouth, only bigger).

Here are a few of the pictures I took with my camera. Note the color difference of the lakers in the first two pictures. The first laker pictured, with its bright yellow-orange fins, was by far the most colorful one that I caught.

Tight lines everyone!

Attachments:
DSC02224r.JPG
DSC02224r.JPG [ 51.69 KiB | Viewed 529 times ]
DSC02217r.JPG
DSC02217r.JPG [ 39.03 KiB | Viewed 529 times ]
DSC02200r.JPG
DSC02200r.JPG [ 78.19 KiB | Viewed 529 times ]

I plan to fish forever.............so far so good!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:05 pm 
Keeper

Sounds like fun Laker fishing, too bad the pike did not coparate. Did you guys do any walleye fishing? Where did you camp?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:12 pm 
Keeper

We decided to stay at Iskwasum, rather than taking a chance on setting up in the overflow parking area at Reed and then having to tear down camp and reset up at Iskwasum. There was no camp host at Iskwasum this year. Probably because of the limited # of campsites due to the tree removal that was taking place.

As for walleye fishing, three of us ran up the Grassy river in my jet-boat as far as the rapids to fish for walleyes for a couple hours just one day. We only managed 2 walleyes, but we must have caught about 20 northerns. It was some of the best northern fishing that we had all week. :P The group caught a handful of incidental walleyes while fishing for northerns throughout the week. But we didn't spend any more time actually fishing for them.

Next year we are thinking about going up in mid-late August so we can stay at the Reed Lake campground. That will save us 600 miles of driving (8 days x 25 mile round trip x 3 vehicles). And maybe I'll get to say "Hi" to NM again in person. Its been too many years since our paths have crossed.

I plan to fish forever.............so far so good!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:14 pm 
Minnow

So what's the scoop on camping at Iskwasum out of season (campground only shows being open until the 13th)? I'm kind of hesitant even setting foot in provincial parks out of season. Last year in mid-September the gate was open at Clearwater so I went in, launched and after I came off the water I found myself locked in the park. No idea what was up with that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:34 pm 
Keeper

Personally I have high respect for the Manitoba conservation. But with this they do have some questionable rules and have been corrected on them due to not obeying. with that I will deal with them in order for the opportunity to experience the best of the best.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:06 am 
Site Admin

Great trip Keith thx, we will probably see you next August I'm sure we will be there. It was a slower year for us on Reed. But that's fishing