Manitoba's Outdoor Message Board "Fishing and Hunting Discussions"

A place to share all your fishing and outdoor adventures feel free to post and share photos of all your adventures
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:03 am 

Hi Guys,

New to this forum. I am from Western PA. I am currently planning my first fishing trip up to Manitoba. We are looking at going sometime next June. I was referred to this site by some guys on the walleye central forum. Really looking forward to learning from you guys.

As of now, we are looking to get to at least Leaf Rapids and head north up 391 fishing somewhere between Leaf Rapids and Lynn Lake.
There was a group of guys that my dad used to go up with in the early 90's that would fish, just camping in the parking lot of the lake they fished. This is what has given us the idea to do this trip.

Some of the questions I have in mind right off the bat are:
1. We have heard that 391 can be rough. Can any of you give us any specifics on that. As of now our plan is to protect the trailer frame with black corrugated pipe, we are looking into buying a bow protector and also we are looking into some sort of protection for our motors. (This info was recommended by guys from the WC forum)

2. What is the town of Leaf Rapids like, are you able to get reliable supplies/fuel from Leaf Rapids? We used to do some waterfowl hunting in some remote towns of North Dakota. A lot of times you could not rely on them having much supplies or even a reliable supply of fuel, so after doing some research on leaf rapids we are curious if we could run into a similar situation there.

3. What time of year do you guys typically see the lakes opening up from the ice? We are thinking of heading up the 2nd week of June.

Ill leave it at that for now.. definitely will have more questions as time goes on, but any information you guys are willing to give would be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:14 am 

Reading through some of the previous posts on this forum, I saw that SPTRIX talked about a backcountry travel permit and a camping permit. I plan on calling the DNR but can you guys give me any information on these permits?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:35 pm 
Minnow

Here is the phone number for Natural Resources in Lynn Lake, 204-356-2413. The road is all about timing, luck, mother nature. It is a mixture of broken pavement and gravel from Thompson to Nelson House, just take it easy while pulling your boat especially where it transitions from pavement to gravel. From Nelson House for the next 100 miles is all gravel, sometimes when dry and graded it CAN be the better stretch, however, if it has rained a lot , and been heavily traveled, and not graded, then there will be one billion 6 inch deep mud puddles, and you will have to really reduce your speed. The locals never reduce their speed , they go flying over everything no matter what the conditions are, and you will see several vehicles that the road got the better of. And when meeting someone on the gravel , especially when it is dry, i get over as far as i can to avoid there rocks. There is a decent sized parking lot, also a fish cleaning house at Eden lake, they are still working on the bridge there but the entrance to Eden is still open. Leaf Rapids has a web site, i have not stopped there for awhile, they had gas then , but , call a business and ask what is open, and when.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:52 am 
Net Worthy

We were in Leaf Rapids and Lynn Lake this past weekend. There is a 24hour self fueling station with a cardlock in Lynn Lake that takes credit and debit cards. If you are going to Eden Lake, it is roughly 30-45 minutes north to Lynn Lake. There is a fuel station in Leaf Rapids as well, however, the hours are less reliable. Both towns have grocery stores, but you would be better off getting your supplies in Thompson or Winnipeg depending on how good your coolers are at keeping stuff cold. As far as the road goes, when we went north on Friday, the road was amazing and we could travel between 80-90km/h, not so much on the way back. A storm had gone through and we were reduced to 70km/h. Like hoosier said, depends on the weather. Ice off is typically around the third or fourth weekend in May.

Hope this helps. Post your trip results when you get back.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:14 pm 

Thank you very much guys! I really appreciate the info. I am really looking forward to this trip. June is still a good ways off but we are trying to do as much prep as we can now. I plan on calling both Lynn Lake and Leaf Rapids but the information you gave me on the gas is great. It will definitely be nice to have 2 options. The 24 hour self service in Lynn is really reassuring.

Do you guys take any special precautions protecting your boat/trailer? We were thinking of wrapping corrugated pipe around the trailer frame and ordering some sort of bow protector. Are we going too far with those precautions?

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:09 pm 
Trophy

Hello,

The road is as bad as others have said. You will get some damage to your equipment regardless of how well you plan. It's just a matter of how much. The idea of corrugated materials is really wise. I also purchased motor covers. One was shredded on the trip up. The other made it. I have a TowTector and gravel shield on my trailer.

The fishing between Leaf and Lynn is presumably good, but if you want better, go to Lynn and head toward Kinoosao, SK, and fish the lakes along those roads: Baldy, McMillan, Zed, etc.

Leaf Rapids has a nice grocery store. Lynn is getting tougher every year. Esso is a go-to there, but they have a card operated fuel station as well. If you want to know ANYTHING about fishing in Lynn, track down Gordy Loewen at the Esso Station. He knows everything there is to know about the lakes up there.

Enjoy your trip. You will not regret it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:45 am 

sptrix wrote:
Hello,

The road is as bad as others have said. You will get some damage to your equipment regardless of how well you plan. It's just a matter of how much. The idea of corrugated materials is really wise. I also purchased motor covers. One was shredded on the trip up. The other made it. I have a TowTector and gravel shield on my trailer.

The fishing between Leaf and Lynn is presumably good, but if you want better, go to Lynn and head toward Kinoosao, SK, and fish the lakes along those roads: Baldy, McMillan, Zed, etc.

Leaf Rapids has a nice grocery store. Lynn is getting tougher every year. Esso is a go-to there, but they have a card operated fuel station as well. If you want to know ANYTHING about fishing in Lynn, track down Gordy Loewen at the Esso Station. He knows everything there is to know about the lakes up there.

Enjoy your trip. You will not regret it.

Thank you very much for the response! I cannot wait to get up there!