Manitoba's Outdoor Message Board "Fishing and Hunting Discussions"

A place to share all your fishing and outdoor adventures feel free to post and share photos of all your adventures
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Reindeer Lake
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:59 am 
Net Worthy

Just got back from an amazing long weekend! Took my wife to the Northern most land crossing into Saskatchewan and stayed at Grand Slam Lodge on Reindeer Lake for three amazing days of fishing! Reindeer is the 9th largest lake in Canada. The weather held off for the most part and we never got wet in the boat. We caught too many northern pike to count. The two largest were 40" and 41". We were outside of prime lake trout season and the largest was only 30". The highlight of the trip, and most frustrating, were the Arctic Grayling. We spent the better parts of two mornings trying to find them. Finally located them on the last day on a wind blown island fighting 2' waves. We managed 5 Grayling with the two largest being 16". Our guide was amazing in his search to find them and must have taken us to a dozen different locations. In the end, they were roughly 30km away from camp. He also cooked the most amazing shore lunches and showed me how to completely de-bone a pike in 28 seconds. He said results may vary. The lake trout and pike are the best I have ever tasted! I can't wait to go back again!

Attachments:
File comment: 27" trout
27trout.jpg
27trout.jpg [ 58.74 KiB | Viewed 1013 times ]
boatlaunch.jpg
boatlaunch.jpg [ 249.84 KiB | Viewed 1013 times ]
File comment: 41" pike
41pikelauri.jpg
41pikelauri.jpg [ 81.16 KiB | Viewed 1013 times ]

Post subject: Re: Reindeer Lake
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:02 am 
Net Worthy

More pics....

Attachments:
reindeerlake.jpg
reindeerlake.jpg [ 194.66 KiB | Viewed 1012 times ]
File comment: 40" pike
40pikelauri.jpg
40pikelauri.jpg [ 164.78 KiB | Viewed 1012 times ]
File comment: 16" Arctic Grayling
16grayling.jpg
16grayling.jpg [ 245.16 KiB | Viewed 1012 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:44 pm 
Minnow

Reindeer is such an amazing place to fish, it is so big it is intimidating , to me anyway, one minute you are in 125' of water, the next second you see a reef just under the surface. But the fishing is once in a lifetime stuff, we usually go up in mid September when the trout are spawning , and catch and release trout till your arms are ready to fall off, then cast for some big jacks. You really need to keep an eye on the weather also, we were about 12 miles from Floyd's , back in some bays, we noticed the wind had picked up, but when we came out of a bay and into the big part it made my 20' alaskan feel like a ten foot john boat, i had to skirt the shoreline in able to back to camp, roughest water i have ever been in. Also Floyd's camp is beautiful, Grand Slam Lodge, i highly recommend it, it's worth the drive up there.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:15 pm 

Sounds like an awesome trip!!