Manitoba's Outdoor Message Board "Fishing and Hunting Discussions"

A place to share all your fishing and outdoor adventures feel free to post and share photos of all your adventures
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Carswell/MacMillan Lake
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:15 pm 
Net Worthy

Looking to go north on a trip at the beginning of October to Carswell Lake. I'm wondering if anyone has any info on the lake such as reefs to look out for, camping spots on any islands, and size of fish to expect. I am also interested if anyone know how easy or difficult it is to get into MacMillan Lake once I am on Carswell.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:17 pm 
Trophy

I've not fished either, but I did some extensive research when I was considering a similar trip. I can give you what I've been told and you'll have to take it for what it's worth. Otherwise, send me an email at sptrix@gmail.com and I will put you in touch with someone in Lynn Lake who I suspect will be able to answer all of your questions.

First, Carswell (locally, referred to as Baldy) is well-known for pike and trout. My understanding is that there are only a couple rocks to worry about, but my buddy hit one there are few years ago that he hit 30 years ago...guess they don't move!

There are big trout in that lake from what I understand (30 pounders) but you have to work for them. One guy I talked to several years ago said 20 pounders were a regular occurrence.

Getting into McMillian is supposed to be somewhat of an adventure. Ultimately, that was the lake I wanted to fish, but I was too concerned that I would be able to get my boat through the creek from Baldy into McMillan. I've been told that you need to work it through the creek using ropes and that if you have more than a 16' boat, the corners may be too tight. I was further told that your success is also dependent upon water levels. My assumption is that fall gives you a great shot at it.

McMillan supposedly is a better trout lake than Baldy. I spoke to a guy who said he has had 100 fish days there...since I've never fished it, I cannot confirm this, but I have no reason to doubt him. It's a BIG open lake, with one giant island, so wind could be an issue in a smaller boat as well.

If you get up there, I'd love to hear about your trip.

Good luck.

SPTRIX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:37 am 
Trophy

Update -- spoke to my buddy in Lynn Lake. He says he has fished both Baldy and McMillan extensively.

Baldy -- not a great lake. He thinks it was commercially harvested and that it hurt fishing.

McMillan -- can only get a 16' boat in...if the water is high, it's very difficult and you need 3-4 guys with waders to make it happen...lots of sandy beaches so camping should not be an issue

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:30 am 
Net Worthy

Well, the trip to Carswell was a lot of fun! Weather didn't cooperate very well and we braved 6" of snow and -8 temps at night and 30 km/h winds during the day, but still a lot of fun. Our primary purpose for the trip was moose hunting. However, we did not see or hear any during the 5 days we were there. My suspicion is that the forest fire that occurred this summer may have chased them away. We did manage to find the creek to McMillan Lake. We did not take the boat into the lake as the creek was very shallow. We fished for a bit each day. Decent numbers of trout and pike. Average trout size was around 28" and pike was 36". No monsters. Definitely want to go back next spring to focus on fishing.

Thank you for advice on the lake! We were able to pick from a number of sheltered beaches and stayed out of the wind.

As usual, my pics won't load....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:32 pm 
Trophy

Sounds like a fairly enjoyable trip anyway. Keep us posted next spring!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:43 pm 
Keeper

Thanks for posting trip results. How was the boat launch area? Did you catch any walleye?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:11 am 
Net Worthy

The boat launch was right off the main road. Lots of space to park your vehicle and trailer. Could also set up camp there if you really wanted, but with the islands, we stayed away from the road. Water was low when we were there and we had to paddle out about 20 yards before I could drop the motor. The launch area only had a few feet of water. I had to.push the boat off the trailer and pull it back on when we left. There was only about 6 fow until we passed a large rock in the middle of the bay. We found a few spots with over 100 fow.

We didn't fish a lot, and when we did, we only caught pike and lakers.

I emailed Dave some pics. He might be able to post them.